Saturday, September 19, 2009
Sinds het Corus toernooi in januari in Wijk aan Zee is de toen 14 jarige Anish Giris 's werelds jongstegrootmeester.
Gisteren nam hij de leiding in het Nederlands kampioenschap in Haaksbergen door Friso Nijboer te verslaan. Hij is inmiddels 15 jaar oud en woont in ons land.
Ik geef wat Susan Polgar over hem op haar weblog schreef:
- Anish's father, Sanjay Giri, is of Nepalese origin. His mother is a Russian. Anish himself was born in St. Petersburg, the beautiful city that already boasts of famous names.
- Anish's father was working in Russia. They recently moved to The Netherlands.- His hero is the legend Garry Kasparov.
- Started playing chess at the age of 7, sparring with his mom and later improved by reading Chess books and playing on the internet.
- Anish stresses a lot on his school studies and tries to maintain a fine balance between Chess and School. No doubt this habit has been inherited from his Scientist father. He has earned the highest grades at school.
- Loves sports in general, Football and Table Tennis in particular.